This project is read-only.

End user security issues

Nov 11, 2011 at 8:46 AM

Hi.

I've successfully generated developers security token and crated simple app which connects to dropbox and enumerates files. So I can create more advanced logic for my application. But there are several questions according usability of this approach

1. What end-user should do in order use my app with his account? Are there any tutorials for end-users avaliable according security stuff, tokens generation etc?

2. I want that my end users just download my app and allow to use it in dropbox account (web interface) with other security stuffage. Is this possible? Is there any tutorial?

What I want to say that there are several good tutorial about development, but there is nothing about end-user usability and deployment. Any information would be more than appreciated. Thanks!

Nov 11, 2011 at 9:15 AM
Edited Nov 11, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Let met rephrase my 2nd question:

As an application user I've got my dropbox account login/password and application itself. What should I do in order to start using application? How to create personal security token and to simplify this security hell? I'm just user and I want to use this app

Nov 11, 2011 at 3:38 PM
Hi.

if it is a windows app I would do the following:

- Start your app
- Check if you stored an access token as Windows User Secret on the machine
- If not start the token generation process where the user will become a webbrowser tok dropbox
- Take the token store it as Windows User Secret

next time the application can use dropbox without any username and password. Add to this the option to remove the token from the system as well

Dirk

2011/11/11 tillias <notifications@codeplex.com>

Let met rephrase my 2nd question:

As an application user I've got my dropbox account login/password and application itself. What should I do in order to start using application?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (sharpbox@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email sharpbox@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Nov 11, 2011 at 4:15 PM
Edited Nov 11, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Hi dei79.

Thanks for rapid answer. Yes, I'm developing desktop app that needs DropBox integration.

How my application can catch the moment (and token) when user has provided login/password in web browser (iexplore for example or default web browser in system)?

Current Dropbox API implies that web browser access is needed to generate token. But is there any callback in sharpBox API which I can use in order to retrieve token from web-browser back to application? Can you show some code samples?

It is unclear for me how to do this from current documentation (part1 and part2) and code samples.

Thanks!

Nov 11, 2011 at 4:27 PM
did you checked the documentation and our example app in the trunk code? You should use the IE Browser control to get this callback?

2011/11/11 tillias <notifications@codeplex.com>

Hi dei79.

Thanks for rapid answer. Yes, I'm developing desktop app that needs DropBox integration.

How my application can catch the moment (and token) when user has provided login/password in web browser (iexplore for example or default web browser in system)?

Current Dropbox API implies that web browser access needed to generate token. But is there any callback in sharpBox API which I can use in order to retrieve token from web-browser back to application? Can you show some code samples?

It is unclear for me how to do this from current documentation (part1 and part2) and code samples.

Thanks!

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (sharpbox@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email sharpbox@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Nov 11, 2011 at 4:55 PM

I'm mostly stuck in background layer (no modal dialogs or windows). Is there any possibility to use system detault broswer without IE browser control?

Thanks.

Nov 11, 2011 at 9:16 PM
Hi,

yes of course just use them and then exchange the token. If the token exchange works everything worked fine in the browser if not the user denied.

dirk

Sent from my iPad

On 11.11.2011, at 17:55, tillias <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I'm mostly stuck in background layer (no modal dialogs or windows). Is there any possibility to use system detault broswer without IE browser control?

Thanks.