View and edit in the cloud

Oct 18, 2011 at 2:43 PM

I want to be able to present a user with a file explorer type of view which connects to cloud storage.

I also want to be able to let them to view, and possibly edit, the files.  The obvious way to accomplish this is to download the file to the client, find the application associated with the MME type,  and then run it on the downloaded file.  That is cool but I worry about how large files might work in this situation.

One of the nice things about some of the cloud storage systems is that they provide the ability to view and edit some files via the web.  One example of this is Google docs and another is Office online with SkyDrive.  I think that these solutions are really cool because they let you avoid having to download/upload files.  You might be just using the data in a sparse fashion which makes web editting very efficient.

What would be really cool is if SharpBox provided View and Edit verbs which act on files.  If the storage provider provides support to do this over the web then that would be the first choice.  Another option would be to literally run the application with the URL to the document (I think that Office supports this).

Anyway, I am just brainstorming and am wondering if anyone else has thought about this?

Coordinator
Oct 29, 2011 at 11:41 AM
Hi,

I like this idea, sounds great and would realy add a new value to the project. Currently the core team is more focused on integrating more cloud providers, e.g. Ubunto one and ShareFile. I would propose that you open an feature issue on our codeplex site. If you plan to contirbute our project it would definitly the right feature for you, let me know that I can support you with all answers to questions about the internals of SharpBox.

Cheers
Dirk

2011/10/18 trailway <notifications@codeplex.com>

I want to be able to present a user with a file explorer type of view which connects to cloud storage.

I also want to be able to let them to view, and possibly edit, the files. The obvious way to accomplish this is to download the file to the client, find the application associated with the MME type, and then run it on the downloaded file. That is cool but I worry about how large files might work in this situation.

One of the nice things about some of the cloud storage systems is that they provide the ability to view and edit some files via the web. One example of this is Google docs and another is Office online with SkyDrive. I think that these solutions are really cool because they let you avoid having to download/upload files. You might be just using the data in a sparse fashion which makes web editting very efficient.

What would be really cool is if SharpBox provided View and Edit verbs which act on files. If the storage provider provides support to do this over the web then that would be the first choice. Another option would be to literally run the application with the URL to the document (I think that Office supports this).

Anyway, I am just brainstorming and am wondering if anyone else has thought about this?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (sharpbox@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email sharpbox@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com