WebDav upload resume feature

Editor
Aug 4, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Hello,

I'm working with your Library. So far so good it works well :)

I was trying to implement a feature to allow resume on upload using WebDav. For that I need to implement "chunk" upload using the HTTP "Content-Range" header in PUT request.

From my understanding below is what to be done in order to have upload resume feature :

1) Add a boolean in WebDav configuration to allow/disallow automatic resume (and use of chunk)

2) PROPFIND each file before trying a PUT to grab file detail (most important is file content length).

3) Then PUT file using Content Range with some param defined size/range (chunk of 512k/1M should be OK ?)

If you upload a big file, no more worry if the upload break :)

It could also be useful if you need a Start/Stop/Resume feature.

And finally I was thinking on a bandwidth throttle for your library ;)

What do you think about that ?

PS : I'm doing my test on Apache2 which seems to support Content-Range in mod_dav.

Thanks for your work.

Regards,

Adrien

Coordinator
Aug 4, 2011 at 10:33 PM
Hi,

I like this idea to add content range support on the http level of this library if the provider supports it. For me it should be a part of the provider configuration if it's support check point restart and we should find a valid abstracted API in the transfer interface. Do you have ideas about the API?

The Bandwidth would be realy cool to have on the http layer level as well. If you don't want to implement by your own, just create an issue with feature proposal so that other people can vote for it as well :-)

Cheers
Dirk

2011/8/4 apestel <notifications@codeplex.com>

Hello,

I'm working with your Library. So far so good it works well :)

I was trying to implement a feature to allow resume on upload using WebDav. For that I need to implement "chunk" upload using the HTTP "Content-Range" header in PUT request.

From my understanding below is what to be done in order to have upload resume feature :

1) Add a boolean in WebDav configuration to allow/disallow automatic resume (and use of chunk)

2) PROPFIND each file before trying a PUT to grab file detail (most important is file content length).

3) Then PUT file using Content Range with some param defined size/range (chunk of 512k/1M should be OK ?)

If you upload a big file, no more worry if the upload break :)

It could also be useful if you need a Start/Stop/Resume feature.

And finally I was thinking on a bandwidth throttle for your library ;)

What do you think about that ?

PS : I'm doing my test on Apache2 which seems to support Content-Range in mod_dav.

Thanks for your work.

Regards,

Adrien

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (sharpbox@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email sharpbox@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Editor
Aug 6, 2011 at 7:17 PM
Edited Aug 6, 2011 at 7:18 PM

Hi Dirk,

I have implemented a working but not completly clean version of WebDav partial part/resume upload feature.

How can I share you the code ?

I have thought on how we could implement bandwidth throttling (for both download and upload on CopyStreamData method).
I would be glad to discuss this with you.

Regards,

Adrien

Coordinator
Aug 7, 2011 at 7:39 AM
Hi,

there are two options:

- via e-mail
- request project access and create your own branch
- supply a patch in codeplex :-)

For discussing your ideas about the CopyStream Bandwidth topic, let us use the public discussion board at codeplex :-)

Cheers
Dirk

2011/8/6 apestel <notifications@codeplex.com>

Hi Dirk,

I have implemented a working but not completly clean version of WebDav partial part/resume upload feature.

How can I share you the code ?

I have think on how we could implement bandwidth throttling (for both download and upload on CopyStreamData method).
I would be glad to discuss this with you.

Regards,

Adrien

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (sharpbox@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email sharpbox@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com