Dropbox Desktop App Rejected - Here's why...

Apr 25, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Hello all,

Apparently, Dropbox is now rejecting any desktop app that uses an "in app" web browser control for OAuth authentication (as recommended by the Sharpbox tutorial).

They want to you use the the user's default web browser instead. This is fine however, it's unclear to me how I can detect when the authentication process finished from within my app the way I can with a web browser control (e.g. by waiting for the DocumentTitleChanged event) in order to call ExchangeDropBoxRequestTokenIntoAccessToken and serialize the token.  Not to mention that popping-up a web browser for the Dropbox login is a rather jarring user experience.

Anyone have any idea how I can monitor an external web browser for when the AuthorizationCallback site loaded or any other alternatives?

Thanks

Coordinator
Apr 25, 2012 at 11:51 PM
Hi,

it's not possible to wait but just try to use the token from time to time and if it works ok if not after let's say two minutes alert the user?

Dirk

Sent from my iPad

On 26.04.2012, at 00:42, pdm2012 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hello all,

Apparently, Dropbox is now rejecting any desktop app that uses an "in app" web browser control for OAuth authentication (as recommended by the Sharpbox tutorial).

They want to you use the the user's default web browser instead. This is fine however, it's unclear to me how I can detect when the authentication process finished from within my app the way I can with a web browser control (e.g. by waiting for the DocumentTitleChanged event) in order to call ExchangeDropBoxRequestTokenIntoAccessToken and serialize the token. Not to mention that popping-up a web browser for the Dropbox login is a rather jarring user experience.

Anyone have any idea how I can monitor an external web browser for when the AuthorizationCallback site loaded or any other alternatives?

Thanks

Apr 26, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Hi Dirk,

Yes that's what they suggested as well. It works but it's just unfortunate we have to send users to another program to login and then have them come back to ours (there's nothing you can do about this though...). It's just a very unorthodox. It would be great if Dropbox made their own log-in control that we could drop into our UI.

Thanks

Apr 27, 2012 at 8:05 AM

You can use callback request from DropBox to your service(just run your own simple WCF REST service, or create response page on ASP with completition logic).